Monday, June 9, 2008

Back from LA!

We had a great weekend in California. We are definitely planning and taking some more fun trips while we wait on baby!


John loves Sumo. John loves sumo like a a lot of men love football! I really enjoyed watching John getting star struck when we would run into Sumo wrestlers around LA, before we attended the tournament Saturday night.

We spent Friday at Magic Mountain theme park. We rode roller coaster after roller coaster.....until we couldn't take it anymore! When we were on a roller coaster and I spotted a sumo wrestler below, John would of jumped off just to go meet this wrestler...as soon as we were off the ride, John took off though the park looking for him. Luckily he found him and I was able to get a photo with a disposable camera!

Saturday morning we drove our rented convertible and headed to Beverly Hills and Hollywood and Rodeo Drive. That was so much fun...my kind of thing! We enjoyed seeing the Hollywood sign and driving around the neighborhoods! On Sunday we drove to Malibu and had an awesome brunch with a bottle of champagne overlooking the ocean. I highly recommend Duke's Malibu Restaurant & Barefoot Bar!

Saturday evening was the Sumo tournament. It was pretty entertaining! I haven't always felt that way.....but once I learned about what these wrestlers endure with their rigorous training and lifestyle a sumo wrestler undergoes it totally changed my perspective. Their unique lifestyle is primarily devoted to one thing – gaining as much weight as they can. They do this because sumo wrestling has no weight divisions. So a 200-pound wrestler can compete with a 400-pounder.
The object of the game is to make some part of the opponent's body touch the floor or to push him out of the inner circle of the ring. Speed, agility and special sumo wrestling techniques contribute to winning but the heavier wrestler usually has the upper hand.

A sumo wrestler's lifestyle is composed of three things: training, eating and sleeping. Wrestlers live together in "stables" or training schools where their training, diet, and sleeping regimens are strictly watched and implemented. Sooo..... when you learn about all of the rituals and traditions it changed my view..I used to think, why would I want to watch obese men in diapers wrestling ? Here are a few photos...can you tell that John is just so excited?!?



4 comments:

Selina Pence said...

Amanda, I think it is great what you guys are doing. You two will provide a wonderful home and lots of love for some lucky child. I cant wait to hear more. I have been stopping by on occasion to see updates and watch your progress in anticipation of your new arrival:) I thought this time I would actually leave a comment because I was so moved by this, by the two of you and what you are doing. Thank you! Selina

Anonymous said...

Cool Sumo pictures! Sounds like you had fun. I'm from Southern California, so all the places you mentioned are very familiar stomping ground for me. Duke's is a landmark! My hubby and I are going back to visit in August. Can't wait!

Tricia

Amanda said...

Haha...I love the sumo pictures.
I also think it's great that you guys are keeping busy by traveling. :)

LISA said...

OK. I have to pass on the xxx diapers! LOL!

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers